Schedule an Event
Want to schedule an event in your area? Would your group, club, or business, like to feature a program on the Owyhee Canyonlands? The formal part of the program is 75 minutes long, excluding Q&A and book signing. You can contact me by filling out the form on the contact page, or call me at 541-998-1291.
My program is an informational program that carries a conservation message about the Owyhee Canyonlands. My hope is that by reaching out to a community and showing them a place in Idaho, Oregon and Nevada that is unique among the landscapes in the lower 48 States, they might begin to understand, and support, the conservation efforts for this region. My goal is not to tell my audience what to think, but to show them what is at stake, to marry images with accurate information, to help the public make an informed decision about the future of these public lands.
Due to its remote location with few access points, the Owyhee remains one of the hidden treasures of the West. For those without the equipment and skills to explore the area, the presentation will take the reader on a vicarious journey into the canyons of the Owyhee and share with them the story of what it is like to be in such a remote area.
- A talk which includes a brief history of the region, location information, some geology of the canyon, and what makes this region special.
- A 13 min. slideshow overview of the entire Owyhee region from Nevada to the Owyhee reservoir in Oregon
- A 20 minute movie entitled “Deep Creek and the East Fork of the Owyhee River.” This movie was taken from a 2006 expedition into Deep Creek and the East Fork of the Owyhee River. These are the upper regions of the Owyhee in Idaho and Oregon, rarely seen.
- I wrap-up the program with a few brief comments regarding the threats to the Owyhee and information about the Owyhee Conservation Proposal, along with the recreational and conservation hand-outs that are available at the table display area.
- The formal part of the program is usually followed by a short Q & A period, and book signing.
WHAT I BRING:
- Books, 5 or 6 canvas prints, DVD, conservation & recreational handouts and usually one helper.
- Something that will play and project a DVD. It can be: a DVD player with a very large flat panel TV, or a laptop computer/projector and screen.
- An Audio system or auxiliary speakers
- A microphone
- A podium
- One easel for one canvas print makes a good room entry display, but not required.
- 3-4-Tables for books, canvas print support and informational hand-outs for the display tables.
- 1 or 2 chairs, for the book table.
- Chairs for the audience
1 – For libraries, non-profits and service organizations, if local, there is no presentation fee. If travel is required, a travel stipend is appreciated but not required. Please consider one. I’ve never turned anyone down, but depending on your location, you might have to wait until I can schedule several other events in your area to help defray my expenses.
2 – If you are a “for-profit” business entity, the presentation fee is $50 for the local area. If you are located 25 or more miles from Junction City, Oregon, the fee is negotiable. Please ask.